Monday, August 23, 2010

Musings ~ Customer Service at Lane County Fair, Eugene, OR

Thoughts while working the Customer Service Window at Lane County Fair, Eugene, OR

~ seeing the rainbow, not in the sky but someone's hair color; nicely layered in rainbow colors
~ teal blue hair
~ bright purple hair
~ a couple of near altercations, one was quite loud the other one was two groups of teenage boys
~ one super angry customer who through his military ID at me, asked me if I was going to apologize. Told him I had said nothing that I needed to apologize for. He then asked one of the managers if he was going to apologize. Nothing was said from either of us. Was told by same man, he served his country in Iraq and he should be treated better by me. His issue, supposedly told by someone that the ride bracelets were good till 11:00 pm when the signs at all the ticket boxes clearly state that the ride bracelets ended at 5:00 p.m.
~two gals who kept praising me for a good job. I told them to tell that to the guys in the white shirts and ties. Didn't realize they were standing behind me (on my left side). The gals started saying in loud voices "Alice is the best! She knows how to do her job! Alice really helped me!" and then as they walked down the stairs they turned around and came back up and said "Alice is the best customer service person we have met." Made my day, especially when the guys told Mr. B about the ladies.
~ watching a little girl, about 9 years old, win at the Ring Toss game right across from the Customer Service window. She won a bike. I don't know who was more excited the little girl who won or the game operator.
~ a little boy, about 7 years old, lost his card. Stopped the card from being able to be used, gave him back his money to go buy a new card. He told me thank you and had a huge smile on his face. His parents also thanked me. Felt good to help someone who appreciated it. And make a little boys day have a good ending.
~ being yelled at because the bracelet special ended at 5:00 p.m. and that it should not end till the carnival closed. Thought about Ron's statement "does your business have discount specials every day?"
~ seeing so many happy little children enjoying themselves and seeing the parents enjoying the happiness of their children.
~ watching twelve or so clowns running through the midway laughing and joking with passerbys
~ listening to the show managers joking around
~ being fortunate to get a break the same time as Ron; enjoying our time together working and wandering around the fair

Hope you enjoyed some of the thoughts and observations made from the Customer Service window.

Alice

6 comments:

  1. Glad to see you were recognized for your good work, I hated to here about that Iraqi Vet who acted like he did,I rarely will tell anyone I am a Vet unless I am point blank asked, All of my family was raised with the motto that nobody rides free in this country and everything we take for granted had been paid for in blood by a serviceman. My Dad, Myself, and one of my son's all served in wartime, and I just thank God we are now safe because somebody else's Son's & Daughters are paying the price now. I am afraid I would have told him he should be ashamed to try and use his service to our country for his own gain. Please forgive the rant but that is one of my peeves, a true leader never has to tell someone he is one. Again Congradulations on a job well done, Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By my count there are more good observations than bad ones. That in itself is a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been hitting the county fairs in the last month or so and it's neat to read what you observe. We are heading West, maybe we will be able to hit one of your fairs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could handle working in customer service. It sounds like you did great, though, not counting the few jerks that confronted you.

    Who needs real rainbows when you can see rainbow hair colors? LOL

    Dave and I went to the Salem fair last year and really enjoyed it. We like that sky ride where you slowly ride over the fair and back again...pretty nice ride for $5.

    Take care, Ali and Ron, your time with the carnival is almost over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post! Your "musings" made me feel like I was experiencing it all with you.

    miss you, love you, did I mention "miss you?". LOL!

    hugs,
    dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very observant and glad you didn't back down from that guy. Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers...so share your thoughts and let's talk!!!