Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cataract Surgery on the Horizon

Yesterday I saw Dr. Grabow in Hondo.  He is the eye surgeon that I am following up with after my appointment with the Optometrist a few weeks back.

Here is how the afternoon went:

Praise ~ I don't have diabetes retinapothy (sp) which would complicate the cataract surgery.

What I do have ~  I have 3 different cataracts on my eye.  One that is like bike spokes, one is a yellow (very common) and one other one that had a real long name that neither Ron nor I can remember the name.  The good news is that my eye dilates real well which is one of the things that has to happen for the surgery to be a success.  He is also of the same mindset to do the surgery sooner than later.  It will happen in June if he gets a cancellation or in July at the latest.

Next Tuesday I have another appointment with him...at that appointment they will do an A-scan...it has to do with measuring the lens.  Then I will have an EKG, chest x-ray, blood tests and some other eye exam and then will be scheduled for the surgery.   
Surgery will either be the first Monday of June or July...we are going to be fast tracking the different things that need to be done so I can be ready for surgery in June if he can work me in.  We should know that next week or so.  I will keep you updated on things as they come up. 

Today's appointment was $125, the hospital will be around $5500 +/- $500, and his surgery which will be between $1000 & $2400 depending on how much he has to do.  + whatever the EKG,  chest x-ray and blood tests cost - we have just about that much in the savings account...which without any complications will be enough for all this to happen.  So God has provided the money...and we are so thankful He has. 

I will be off work for at least two days and it could be as long as a week.  It will all depend on how quickly the eye heals.  I will be on antibiotics before and after the surgery and he will give me an antibiotic shot during the surgery + eye drops to encourage a quick healing.

And of course there is risk as in any surgery...worst case scenario is that I will not heal correctly and possibly not see at all...best case scenario is that within a couple of days I will see better than I have in years.  But he said I will always need glasses to protect my good eye.  On another note my eye socket looks great and he was pleased with that.

Will write more later when I can see better and my eye is not itching.  It started itching shortly after he dilated my eye...lucky me he said...I probably am having an allergic reaction

Thank you all for praying.  Talk to you all soon.  Love and miss y'all.  Alice

2 comments:

  1. Here's hoping you can get in for the surgery in June. Most everyone who has had this surgery is so happy with it. Praying that everything will go perfectly and you will have a quick recovery with no complications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, Alice. It's a lot for you to think about. We're praying for things to go well with no unexpected complications.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from readers...so share your thoughts and let's talk!!!